View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Umpire
Hey Vern:

That is certainly an option you have. Ejecting the bad guys is allowed by the rules and you may be totally justified in doing so. This wanders slightly from the subject of sending messages. Can we assume from your post that you favor ejections over sending messages? Possibly you think that sending messages is a proper tactic, but not in this particular case.

From my previous posts you will read that I do not use messages. I do like to issue warnings for minor offenses before ejection. If I saw drawing a line as particularly inciteful, I would eject without warning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~`
Very good discussion, both you and Pete have some very good thoughts. I have my way for the "men's leagues". First off, usually it is the guys that can't play the game well that pop-off. How many idiot players have grumbled about the ball hitting the plate should be foul? The player getting a message sent is usually a hot-head trying to show his buddies how cool he is. I keep it simple, no warnings, see ya.They get the message early in the season, too.
I ran a guy twice in MSBL action, claimed he used to ump in the Ca. league and that interference by a R2 could only happen if R2 was in front of F6 when the batted ball reached F6. We had banged r2 on interference after he tripped F6 from behind as he was charging a grounder. I ended up dumping him in the second game that Sunday over an infield fly rule call, ball was hit a good 40 feet towards the rf gap, but F4 could have had a brew by the time he settled under and caught it, runners were holding up AND the INF protected HIS offense. This guy was the skipper, hung his own noose, IMHO