Thread: Time Out!
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 13, 2010, 07:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Coach View Post
As I was reffing a game the other night, a player tried to call for a timeout while standing out of bounds with the ball (after a made basket). In accordance with FIBA rules, I didn't grant the timeout because it has to be called from the bench and the scorer's table has to sound the buzzer, etc.

One of the players for the other team started yelling that because this guy was trying to call for the timeout, that it was a technical foul. As far as I could see there was no technical foul, but rather a five second violation was the only call I could and should make.

After the game I asked the "loud mouth" from the other team why that was supposed to be a technical foul and he said it was due to a delay of the game. What he said still doesn't make sense to me, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure...is there such a thing as a technical foul for trying to call a timeout in an inappropriate manner according to FIBA rules?

Thanks for the help.

It is not a TF. Ignore the player's request for a TO, and start a five second count.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio