View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that TV is a major problem. What is it like 2:25 per commercial break? That alone is a minimum of 16 breaks in the game. That is over 30 minutes there(too lazy to do exact math).

I love baseball. I can stand to watch 4 hours of it. I think the problem is time. Many times, I don't have 4 hours to waste like that. It detracts from other things.

Football has a lot of down time. Actually, the average offense/defense is only playing about 20 minutes of the game. Much of it is standing around and letting the clock go down. Not to mention the clock stopping for incompletes and out of bounds. It is perceived different but it is very similar. An average of 30 or more seconds is wasted between each play. That adds up.

I agree that the clock probably makes the perception different. Everyone knows how much time is in the game unlike baseball. They know the end is coming.

Cut out the commercials and it would probably get a lot better. After that, then they can discuss rule changes. I think they need to get to the "heart of the matter" first -- TV commercials.