View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueit View Post
I appreciate the advice from the experienced pros, but what you're saying to do doesn't square with the NFHS casebook. Maybe ASA or NCAA is different, but I'm reading the Fed books. There could be something else in the rulebook or casebook I missed that contradicts what I'm reading, but the case book (2009 version) says twice -- under "Delayed Dead Ball" comment 5.1.2 and again under 8.4.3 Situation C that the umpire declares the ball dead "at the end of playing action."

If a runner is going from 2B to 3B as an obstructred runner is being tagged "out" (she's not out, she's safe due to the obs., so the tag means nothing & is just wasted effort by the defense) at the plate, I've got to say "'playing action" has not ended. F2 could still throw to 3B & try to get an out there on an advancing runner.

And the reality is that the runner at 2B is not affected at all by the obstruction at the plate, other than in a positive way (gaining some time while F2 obstructs & then tries to tag the obstructed runner). I really don't think that's what the rule means by "affected." Again, NFHS casebook comment 8.4.3, Sit C (2009 ed.) says very specifially that an award would be made to "all runners effected by the obstruction ..." (It means "affected".) I don't think that means a runner at 2B when the obs. play is at home, 84 feet away.

So, begging to differ (and with some trepidation), I don't think there should be an award to the runner between 2B & 3B at all, so long as "playing action" continues.

If I'm wrong, I'd sure like a rulebook or casebook reference that I could use to back me up if I kill a play after a non-out tag is made on an obstructed runner & other action continues on the play.

The real interesting question: if F2 comes up from the non-out tag & throws the runner out at 3B, is it an out? The way the NFHS casebook reads, I think it is. The unaffected runner should get no protection.

I think Rule 8-4, Art. 3c leads to the same result. 8-4-3c uses the same wording "each other runner affected by the obstruction" will be awarded bases. I don't think a runner at 2B is affected by obs. at the plate, at least not in the way the rule means.

Rule 8-4, Art. 3a could be read differently, but I think something has to be implied that's not specifically stated there. Art. 3a does say that if "the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction" are awarded basis.

I've got 2 problems with the wording of Art. 3a, though. One, using the term "put out" doesn't make much sense, because the runner isn't out at all. She's safe. If the intent is to say "tagged," then the Rule should say tagged.
Two, although Art. 3a says "a dead ball is called," it does not say WHEN the dead ball is called -- whether immediately or after other playing action ends. The casebook comments DO say when, twice: "at the end of playing action."

I can't see killing the play, with "playing action" continuing, immediately when a useless tag is made on a safe, obstructed runner. Doing that gives the defense (which has just committed an infraction) an advantage: they can possibly "freeze" runners by making a pointless tag.

And what happens if F2, hearing an "Obstruction ... Safe!" call, realizes that a tag on the safe runner is a waste of time & effort, so she makes a throw
to try to get a runner heading to another base? If "dead ball" isn't called without a tag & play continues, why should it be called with a tag? The F2 who's just obstructed a runner should have the ability to stop further play by making a meaningless tag on the obstructed runner? That doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe 8-4 Art. 3a has been applied as you say and that's just "how it's done." But if so, it's not done the way the comments to the casebook say it should be done.

I'm getting conflicting advise from experienced umpires and the casebook comments. Oh boy.

The "playing action" it the play being made on the runner by F2.