View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Quote:
Bad call adds to Cubs' Opening Day woes | cubs.com: News
Quote:

Interesting catch/no catch. To me watching the full speed replay it looked like an obvious no catch. One thing I was taught is to watch the player go into the glove for the ball. It looked pretty clear he did not reach into the glove. Granted, the TV had a different angle than anyone on field level. This isn't a fan boy thing before anyone says anything. I just think it's an interesting play and I've watched it over and over since this is something I don't want to have happen to me.

Another interesting thing, more on a psychological level, is what about the huge jumbotrons? I'm not advocating instant replay, actually I'm against it. I just think it would suck to be on the field, not be allowed to look at that 80' monitor, and then be able to tell from the crowd reaction that you kicked the call. :eek
:
IMO, the IR rule will start to expand for plays such as these. It's one thing in the regular season but in the play-offs. Also, there is precedent (if one of the umpires saw the no-catch) to reverse the call. Talk about the Braves it happened to them back when Willy Randolph was the skipper of the Mets.

Jose Reyes hit a sinking line drive that was a no-catch but ruled a catch on the field and a corresponding DP. Randolph questioned the call and the umpires huddled. After the huddle, crew chief Gerry Davis reversed the call to a no catch and declared the ball retroactively dead at the point of the call reversal and moved everyone up one base.

Therefore, if one of the umpires SAW the No catch the call could have been reversed. Also, I am shocked Pinella did not "go off" Perhaps it's old age or health reasons.

MLB is already gearing up towards expanded replay with the modification of the umpire rules that were published.

Pete Booth