View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 01:29pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
A1 is being trapped in the frontcourt right inside the division line. In attempt to pass to a teammate, A1 spins the ball such that it hits in the backcourt, spins forward, and is caught by A2 who has two feet in the front court. A2 never puts foot into the backcourt. Didn't happen last night, but it almost did. It got me thinkin'.

This is a case, I think, where we are getting away from rules interpretation and getting into a word game. As I read this post, the part about spin really seems irrelevant.
Forget the spin. Both A players are standing just on the frontcourt side of the division line. A1 throws a bounce pass which hits on the line and is caught by A2, who has both feet in the frontcourt. Is this a violation? Of course. 4-4-3 A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last in contact with a player or the court. BUT, if we just like to argue, (I know I do) let's go and practice our spin pass some more. If it bounces in the backcourt then spins forward and bounces again, this time in frontcourt, before A2 picks it up, is this a violation? I don't know, but I don't think it matters because: 1. I won't see the situation in my lifetime. 2. If I do, nobody else will know either, so whatever we call or don't call will make one side happy and the other, less happy.

Lonesome Dove