View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: GreyMule

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I think that you are starting down a slippery slope when you interpret "intent" in a player's mind. Gonna be allful hard to sell that to a coach.

It is my opinion that Interference rules are designed to protect a defensive player; to allow them every opportunity to make a play. The wording of Interference rules are very clear that "Interference is Interference," whether intentional or not. (Except, of course, when interfering with a thrown ball or attempting to defeat a double play opportunity.)

Last year a FED Point of Emphasis was calling interference of the batter-runner if outside the 3' lane when a play was being made down the basepath. If the runner is outside the lane, and the catcher throws the ball into RF, you don't question Intent. She is out - period. She is in an area that belongs to the fielder. Conversely, if she is in the 3' lane (her authorized property), then the fielder is required to move and find a throwning lane outside the runner.

Same thing with a batter bailing out of the batter's box and the catcher throws the ball over her head into LF trying to retire a runner at third. No question about intent, contact not required. She doesn't belong there; that is the catcher's protected part of the field for her to make a play.

Now - how 'bout the space in front of an infielder trying to make a play?
Speaking of slippery slopes....those are awfully broad interpretations.

The fact that a runner is out of the 3' lane or the batter being out of the box when a throw goes into the outfield is irrelevant. The only thing which is relevant to is whether the umpire believes the offensive player's presence facilitated an errant throw. After all, some players just out right suck and couldn't possibly have made a good throw regardless of where the runner is located.

The defense only owns the parts of the field necessary to make a play on the offense.

As a catcher, sp & fp, anytime the opportunity was possible, I would always tell the umpire that my throw is going right down the inside of the base line and that I expect the call if the runner is there. If that ball went into right field, I didn't expect anything from the umpire 'cause I'm the one who kicked the play, not the runner.

This is why interference is a judgment call. The umpire must have the authority to evaluate the play, then make the call. We all pray that the umpire follows the rules and more often than not, that is the case.