View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I have been an official in many other sports. I don't officaite basketball because I don't feel I exercise good judgement. I was very physical when I played and I noticed that when I started out trying to officaite, I let a lot of stuff go that to me, wasn't so bad, but all the guys I worked with would get on me about letting too much stuff go.

Personally, I don't question judgement calls, you can't argue them and it isn't going to change. I will challenge officals on rule interpretations or if they are not hustling to get into a good position to make the judgement call.

Personally, I enjoyed taking the test. I took about two days to do it, looked up every question and answer that I could find. The one problem I had with the tests was that when I got mine back, it had the answers marked wrong but didn't tell me anywhere why it was wrong or what rule should be referenced.

I did question an official earlier this year on a rule, but did it before a game when they were introducing themselves. I told them what the situation was, an alignment on a out of bounds play, and what I felt the ruling was. At first they thought that I was wrong, I told them the rule I was referencing, the referee then told me he would check to make sure, he went and checked, told me that the alignment was alright and the game went without a hitch.

I hear you guys talk about preventative officiating all the time here, there is also preventative coaching and I think the rules test helps that.