View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 25, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

It still amazes me that officials new to 3 person think they have it all figured out after working half a game or even 10,20, or 30 games. I guess that is just the world we live in, everything is done now and at a rapid pace. I have been working 3 person for about 12 years, and am now comfortable saying that "I get it."I may be a slow learner, but I do think we all have the opinion that we learn quicker than we do. For any official to think they skilled and adept at all of the nuances of 3 person mechanics after less than 2 or 3 seasons (at minimum) or after 50-75 games (at minimum) is a less than accurate statement.
Be careful with that over inflated opinion we have concerning our knowledge and understanding of 3 person. To know the basics is one thing, but to be able to work it as it should be worked is quite a different story. It takes practice, practice, and more practice to instinctively react to the changing flow of a game to really work the game as it was intended with 3 officials. Be careful of all the self inflicted back patting on your skill level. the bottom line is that it really takes years and hundreds of games before we call the game without thinking of calling the game. Where's my primary? Should i have put a whistle on that play? Was i correct in rotating as soon or as slow as I did? Can I be trusted to call my primary? do I reach out of my primary when I should and when I should not?
Interested in your thoughts. thanks