View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I believe it is even more simple than that.

Once offensive team members enter the field, and/or OC touches the live ball, we have a dead ball. If an umpire is still on the field, why isn't their "protest" simply a dead ball appeal of a missed base? Interference doesn't even need to come into play; the run doesn't score.
Makes perfect sense to me.
However, after re-reading the ASA clarification, it seems that they never addressed the fact that the DC asked for an appeal, (which was part of the original sitch that occurred in the local rec league). I agree with Mike...I don't see interference.
To look at this from another perspective. We all know what our end of game responsibilities are in run scoring game ending situations in regards to runners touching their bases if forced, being alert for any type of appeal, location of the defensive players (should they want to make an appeal), etc. I've never read anything, or been instructed in a clinic that I need to make sure a coach or player doesn't interfere with a "thrown ball" after a game ending run has scored. BTW...the OP states that "the ball was returned to the infield" that to me does not equate to a "throw" as defined by the rules. I mean what if the ball had been picked up and handed to an umpire? Do we rule interference in the same sitch?
There was a similar sitch posted a few weeks ago. My feeling then, as now, is that when a game ending run scores, by definition, the game is over. Game over=ball is dead. Defense wishes to appeal, dead ball appeal rule(s) are in effect.

Last edited by KJUmp; Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 05:45am.