Thread: Hey Rook!
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Stop saying the color, just point.
For whatever it's worth, I've been told to always verbalize the color. Perhaps it's a "location" thing, so find out how they want it done in your area. And, if you state a color, don't say, "Off white, red ball". Most players and coaches will only hear the first color verbalized, and that can cause unnecessary confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster
I just like the idea of being quick AND right (ya know, decisive for the sell ) and am hoping that someone has that magic mental key so that when the stuff starts to fly I can be "auto man."
This may be part of the problem; you don't need to "sell" all your calls and be so quick. The same reason applies here as it does for deciding foul calls - just like a patient whistle helps you see the play and more likely to get it right, a slight hesitation will give you that extra time to realize the right color and get the direction correct. In fact, most of the time it should be the same timing as when you call the "obvious" ones. Save the quick and dramatic calls only for the closest calls at the most important part of the game.

When I've had a problem with pointing the proper direction is usually at the beginning of a game or half, when I try to be too quick with the point while verbalizing the color. I've gotten away from that problem by blowing the whistle, saying, "Red!", then taking a half second or so to check out the direction, then point. (Well, then there's my other problem when the teams are actually white and blue... )

(Used with permission.)