Thread: Hey Rook!
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rook!

After attending my first camp this past summer I just finished my first season as a middle school official, with intentions of attending a camp (or two) this coming summer, working a summer league (or two) and joining my state association to officiate high school in 2010-2011. I’ve got decent mechanics and am studying the rule book but I would like to work on improving my court vision and overall “with-it-ness” in order to improve my intangibles. I think I did a pretty good job with court presence but I want to improve on that as well.

I’m reffing the defense, keeping ‘em boxed in, and I never turn my back on the court in transition. In my head I’m telling myself “White on D, white on D…” and when the defense gets close to the ball I’ll mentally say something like “White 14,” especially in the post. But I’d like to be able to see more of my PCA. I know angles and moving to improve are important but I still feel like I’m tunneling in. Any suggestions?

One other problem I’m having that makes me feel ridiculous: I sometimes having trouble getting the color right on an out of bounds call. I get the direction right but sometimes yell the wrong color, or vice versa, confusing players, not to mention looking like a dope. Most guys I’m watching make it seem so effortless. Anyone have any quick phrases you say in your head that helps keep everything straight?

Thanks for whatever y'all got.

Viva Officiating.com