Thread: 3 Foot Lane
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichiganBlue View Post
At that NUS, the ASA position was very clear - IF the runner is outside the 3-foot lane and the fielder could not handle the throw - CALL IT! We ran that drill many times; we never hit the runner, but everytime Steve insisted that we call interference.
But did Steve do that because it was a drill or was every instance of the drill decisively INT?

Quote:
Basically the positon is that if the runner is NOT where she belongs so she gets no help; benefit of doubt goes to the fielder.
Absolutely, but there must also BE interference. I believe the point that was attempted is if it is just a bad throw, you don't automatically reward the defense because a runner wasn't between the pipes.

In spite of the many recent changes in some org. that seem, IMO, an attempt to dummy down the rules to reduce the amount of judgment necessary by making certain acts "automatic" calls, I think the umpire needs to use their judgment and make the correct call.

If you stayed for the entire session (NUS), you probably heard common sense referenced a couple of times. This is the type of call where an umpire must see, evaluate and rule on all portions of the event which just occurred without prejudice or predetermination.

Quote:
Of course if umpires will not make this call, catcher's know what they have to do. Rather than risk an error, they will ding the runner and force the umpire to make the call.
Again, another instance why we get the big bucks Most of these players, male, female, adult or youth, couldn't mask an intentional throw at the runner if they wanted to. And making that call if such a play occurs can only add to the integrity of the game, that is, unless they are playing kick ball.

The teams rely upon the umpire to make the correct call, but I can tell you, many scoff at that idea. Those who visit other sites will recognize my reference to many a player/coach/parent who swear the umpires in their area will NOT make the difficult call. Of course, I take this criticism with a grain of salt, but in some instances, it is not a lie. Granted, we must survive, but when it comes down to it, how can an umpire be dinged for making the right call?

How many times to we hear, "you can't call that now" or "you don't make that call in this type of game" or "how can you end a game on a call like that", etc.? Have you even noticed that no one argues that the call is wrong, but just untimely for THEIR team.

Umpires need to do their job. Yes, there needs to be common sense applied to the game, as well, but not to the point that certain violations are completely ignored.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 04:44pm.