View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 03:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tap, Contact, Slap, Strike, Force ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Two handed dunk. Player (in a clearly intentional act) taps the backboard with both hands on the way down.
NFHS 10-3-4: A player shall not: Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to
vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the
basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

In order to penalize on 10-3-4-A, "The Ralph Sampson Rule", the player would have had to had gained an advantage. In my opinion, there is no advantage gained by doing this, so we can assume that 10-3-4-A does not apply.

Now we're left with 10-3-4-B. To me the words "Slap", and "Strike", seem to imply that the act is done with some type of "Force", in some cases, but not all cases, causing the backboard, or ring, to vibrate. Did this "Tap" have any "Force" behind it? If so, then go ahead and penalize under 10-3-4-B. If not, then play basketball.

10.3.4 does not exactly address a "Tap", but it might shed some light on this situation:

10.3.4 SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block
the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket;
or (b) B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does
not enter the basket. RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts; and (b) a technical
foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket. COMMENT: The purpose of the
rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is
involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who
strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt
to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed
a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)