View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 12:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Good Story, but shouldn't the good sportsmanship tag be given to the coach of that age group that didn't have to wait until the last game to make up for the lack of playing time for his players? It seems like winning was what he was all about as his team went undeafeated, but some players didn't play very much to accomplish that goal. Don't get me wrong, I am glad he did what he did the last game, but it couldn't have been a lot of fun during the season for the players that didn't get in the games that often. That is probably why some youth leagues have mandatory participation rules.
Our league has a rule that if a player participates in both of their practices during the week, that player must play at least half their game on the weekend. If they wind up playing less, it's up to the parents to notify the league. We received zero complaints about playing time regarding that team for the season. Teams are held to a maximum of 10 players and sometimes they wind up with 8 or 9. In fact, 7 or 8 is probably the average that actually shows up for games.