View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 05:40pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We could say that really about any sport. I see a lot of bad basketball officials too and bad football officials. My point is they are all hard if you consider what you have to do mentally to stay sharp and to physically stay on top of things. Just if I had to choose which one is the easiest my vote is baseball. And the reason I also say that, is I see many good basketball and football officials really step into baseball and do very well. I have seen some baseball umpires try to do basketball and not have a clue how to handle themselves. Also part of this is the way the games are fast paced and how much responsibility you have to take on. In baseball unfortunately if you are on the bases you might not have a close play the entire game. I cannot think of too many basketball games where I had a day off on the court. Even when you do not call something, there is a person in your ear telling you how you missed something or how you the game should be called. And participants are constantly reminding you of that. Baseball, unless you have a close call or a close pitch, not much they are going to say. Not to say they just give you a pass (Not what I am saying at all), but there are so many times behind the plate I am a non-factor. They swing the bat and I have no role in the game (or very little role). Also in baseball you can get away with not being in the best shape. You cannot do that as a basketball official very well and you cannot do it very well as a football official and you will soon be exposed if you are not.

Peace
+1

I'm new to the area that I started officiating both basketball and baseball starting at the beginning of last year. I had my first chance to work with some baseball umpires in the area last spring who I thought did a great job on the diamond. Then, this last fall, I got to work with a couple of those same guys on the basketball court, and I had a totally different opinion of them after working with them in basketball. I then noticed that it is much easier for mediocre basketball officials to be great baseball officials. Therefore, baseball is easier to officiate, IMO.