View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 28, 2000, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cornchild
Here's a call I need some help understanding:

Green has the ball on their own 45 yard line, it is 4th and 13 and they are back to punt. Green snaps the ball over the punter's head and the Green punter is hit by Red and the ball continues to bounce. Red tries to grab it and bats it from the 7 yard line into the endzone where Red recovers for a touchdown. A flag is thrown and the officials call "illegal batting". It was my understanding that it was a five yard penalty from the spot of the foul. The officials mark off fifteen yards from Green's line of scrimmage and give Green a first down on Red's 40 yard line. Green went down to score and won the game by a touchdown. I am baffled.

Cornchild,

Score another good call for the refs on this one. This is a penalty during a loose ball play. All penalties occurring during a loose ball play are penalized from the previous spot (the LOS in this case). And yes, illegal batting is 15 yard penalty. Therefore step off 15 yards form the LOS and it leaves the offense in possession 2 yards beyond the line-to-gain which is a first down.