View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathertime View Post
I was working a JV & varsity boys assignment earlier this year. In the JV game, I was the C in transition when A1, who was dribbling, cut back to his left. His defender jumped back into his path, took contact and went down to the ground. From my angle it was a clear block.

The coach went nuts asking how I could miss the forearm from A1. I have called his games several times and have never had a problem with this coach, and quickly told him why I had a block and ended the conversation with the stop sign.

In the locker room between games, both my partners told me I missed it and there was indeed a forearm thrown. I just couldn't see the forearm from my angle.

I was the R in the varsity game, and while I am checking the book pregame, I told the JV coach that he was right because my co-officials told me I missed the call because of my angle. He told me that his players on the bench were trying to calm him down to avoid a T because they all thought it was a block and I got it right. We both just started laughing at the fact that we were both told we were wrong.
Consider that maybe you were right.

I had a call like this a few weeks ago. Player jumps in front of a ball handler and does not establish LGP -- he essentially jumps into the path of the dribbler so close that there's a block and then a forearm comes out from the ball handler.

Visiting coach sees the forearm and wants a player-control foul -- like I told him, the block happened well before that forearm came out. Unlike you, one of my partners (it was in transition) said it was a good call.