View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have had two of these types of blow outs the last two years but they were both different. In one game, the team won by 85 points. However, the winning team did not press, ran what I would imagine would be EVERYone of their offensive sets all the way through and did not fast break. All of the players played, the skill level was just that disproportionate.
In the other game the team ended up winnig 125-24. This team however had their stars in the whole game (2 girls only got in for less than 2 minutes at the end). They continued to press and fast break all nite. While I was not going to make up any fouls, I was going to have a lower tolerance of contact from the winning team. Most of the time the losing team would just dribble it off their feet etc. I remember calling one foul on the losing team and the coach wanted to know why I called that ticky tack foul when her team was losing by so much. I replied "Coach, I figured you would want to set up a defense instead of giving up a fast break" She smiled and agreed. I figured we LET that type of call go for a team SCORING a lay up, why not switch it!!! This type of 'coaching' has no place in HS sports.
(As a side note, a team this year beat a team 84-4. Their coach told them that they either had to score 100 or hold the other team under 10 or they would run. While this team won the conference, none of the coaches voted for this coach as COY - which traditionaly goes to the coach of the conf champs - and only put 1 of his players on the first team all Conference squad!)