View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Not sure what this rambling response is attempting but the fact unlike what the author states is that even medical professionals are unsure of concussions and treatment. The obvious is when the player loses consciousness, it is that state of what in the past was called "getting your bell rung" that is in question. If medical professionals with years of traning are not in agreement on the subject why should we as football officials with no training be held responsible for determining something outside our domain.

Want to refut ajmc's geographical reference since the two of us are a lot closer than Rut and since ajmc and I reside relatively close. We as officials have a great deal of duties to perform whether in Chicago, Long Island, Albany or San Francisco and I have had the pleasure of working in multiple geographies and found officials in all of them to consider the welfare of the players important. The subject of this discussion is whether we should be encumbered with a responsibility for which we have almost no real knowledge to adequately perform regardless of where we live.
Ed, I’m not quite sure what you’ve been reading. Where did you read, “we as football officials with no training be held responsible for determining something outside our domain”? The Press Release, that I read, merely suggested that officials will be “asked” to pay close attention to “obvious” signs and behaviors associated with symptoms of concussions, and when such are detected, to direct the afflicted player to “appropriate health-care professionals” for evaluation. Do you have access to additional detail?

I’m not at all surprised that you can say, “I have had the pleasure of working in multiple geographies and found officials in all of them to consider the welfare of the players important”, which is exactly what I suggested in referencing that most officials have been dealing with these type situations, all across this nation, for generations. Did you understand I suggested something different?

What part of, “I'm sorry, it may be a geographical difference, but most officials I've worked with routinely observe players to make sure they at least appear fit to compete. If not, a closer look, a question or two can identify when all the lights aren't lit, and if that's the case the player needs to be sent out, and officials have been doing that for years.” , are you having trouble understanding?

I also have enjoyed the opportunity to officiate in several States, and areas within NY State, and have been fortunate in working with officials, in all those locations, that took player safety very seriously and wouldn’t hesitate in sending a player, who they may have felt for whatever reason including those listed in this rule revision might be physically hampered in further participation, to his sideline for appropriate evaluation, as authorized by NF: 3-5-10.