Thread: Wrong score?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Boys HS varsity game, and this unusual sitch actually happened.
Visitors jumped out to a 22-0 lead in the first quarter. Second quarter, home team made a few buckets and at the half the score was something like 36-7. Partners & I proceed to table at half to check with scorers, when a member of the local press comes running up saying that a basket had been missed (scored by the visitors). We kind of glanced at him as he tried to convince both official and visiting scorer of their mistake. Scorers huddle, and BOTH say score in books and on scoreboard is correct.
Second half, wouldn't you know it, the home team catches up, ties it, and wins by two.
Visitors coach is now questioning the alleged missed basket, but both scorers maintain their position.
Now I'm bugged.. I get a copy of the game film, watch it, write down every point, and the scorers did indeed miss a bucket. Since the beginning of the game was such a blowout, I believe that they both had some kind of lapse, and I saw exactly where on the film. After a basket, quick steal undeneath, easy layup.. Probably had their heads down.
Any suggestions/comments on a different way to handle this?