Thread: Ethics question
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Here is a reply for you jbduke...quit being so ANAL!

...but I would rather officiate with a guy on a couple pain pills than a back stabbing "tattle tell"...and that is how you would come across. IMHO

Dude
In this one case, I agree to let it go (especially now and since you didn't express concern when he was pulling out the meds). If it is a chronic thing, you have to say something, for multiple reasons. He would need help, he is probably driving under the same condition (thus putting lives at risk) and would be making your chapter look bad. There are times when speaking up is not being a "tattle tell"...it is being a responsible professional.

Not nearly the same level, but last week I worked an early morning game with a member of the board in our chapter. He showed up 5 minutes before the game. Told me at half-time to be sure I told the assignment sec. that he was late, especially since he simply overslept. Kinda caught me off guard and he said "We have to police ourselves. When someone does something that puts a bad light on the chapter you have to speak up for the good of every member."