Thread: Local Rules
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

local rules not only confuse coaches and players, but also umpires. when umpires work too many different leagues, tournaments, etc., frequently, it's the various run (ahead) rules that I see getting mixed up. I get the "runner has to slide" plea alot in SP rec ball, but no such rule exists for the local league. many rec leagues in my area have mandatory sliding or no-slide on doubles, particularly for senior leagues for safety reasons.

not that I am trying to harsh and make enemies, but I think the HR protest described below shows poor stewardship of the game. most players want to help umpires speed the game along, particularly w/ rec ball. softball is slowly dying, and outsmarting players doesn't help that one bit. I cringe when I think what they must think of umpires (specifically) after that call. "A"-HOLE comes to mind. maybe ASA changed the rules for that very reason. a protested game is nothing to be proud of.

that aside, 1B coach shoulda instructed that masher to run the bases. if a player asks me such a question, my reply is, "you want MY advice?", and smile. I always smile and have fun. if they persist, my answer is, "I am the last guy you should ask for advice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I have no problem with local rules. That doesn't mean I just let other things slide, well, because. That's it, just because. This is why I am the ONLY umpire in the world to ever ask for a line-up card, to actually check bats before the game, to require to see the ball off the bench before it gets into the game and the best of all, I was the ONLY umpire to ever make players run the bases on an out of the park HR (before ASA changed the rule).

I told them that was not true. A player asked me if he HAD to run the bases, I said that was up to him if he did not want to. He sat down. When the defense appealed, I rang him up because I didn't tell him NOT to run, just told him he didn't have to if he didn't want to. I'm not his coach. They protested. They lost.

When asked about umpiring games with amended rules, my standard response is "not a problem, but make sure the 'local' rules are published and you get a copy."

Don't assume anything because players will try to talk an umpire into a "local" rule and all of a sudden, you are getting a call from the city/county/town/league office about a protest because YOU let them do this or that.

There are two leagues in this area with which this is a problem every year. They want "special" rules to allow a 80 yo veteran to pitch, but not bat. Or bat, but have a "courtesy runner" from the plate, or unlimited courtesy runners for the female players they are allowed to use because there are not enough men to have a team. Yep, that would be the Church League and the Firefighter's League. When the umpire tells them no, s/he is informed by these honest, trustworthy folks that they are special league rules (which there are not). When asked to see a copy, it is unbelievable that there can be six teams in one location and not one of them has a copy of the league rules that do not exist.

How do your local leagues handle exceptions or amendments to the standard rules?