View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It is a hard, protruding item that is not part of the uniform or game equipment. IMJ, it is just as dangerous as a radio attached to a belt. Understand, I'm beyond the communications point, but items not allowed in the coaching box in general.
So what's a clipboard?

Quote:
And I do understand the difference between championship play and local ball. However, I've never played or umpired in any league that did not use championship play rules with specific amendments. However, the default was always the rule book.
And that's the case here as well. However, as I said before, the emphasis around here is more on participation and less on the strict letter of the rule. Uniform rules are completely relaxed, no one gets in a twist if a player steps out of the dugout for a smoke, etc. The leagues here have every right to use ASA rules, then adapt the tempo to their liking. This is what they want, so that's what they get.

Quote:
I'm sensing that there is a tendency here to give firefighters/EMTs special treatment. I don't buy it. For that matter, wouldn't it make sense to be more cognizant of and more stringent in the enforcement of the rules involving player's safety at the rec level than in a highly competitive atmosphere?
Well, we're now talking about two different things here: communication devices and safety issues. Safety issues should always be addressed when the umpire identifies one, but the rule regarding communications equipment on the field says nothing about safety. It's a logical extension, yes, and one worthy of our attention. However, if I don't judge the alert radio to be a safety issue, then what's the issue?

I'm not giving EMTs or firefighters special status here. I'm using their example because A) they came to mind first and B) they're more likely than anyone else to have such a device required by their jobs.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.