Thread: Patient Whistle
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
Agree 100% - if your partner saw a "blantant stiff arm" - why did he/she not call the foul? If you didn't see it, why did you?

You're asking for a heap of trouble with this...

And I'd bet the coach was upset for a lot more than his player fouling out.
I guess I should add some context. This was a 7/8B Boys & Girls youth league with (ahem) minimally trained refs, and my partner was 1st year and still in the tail end of his "afraid to blow the whistle" phase. When I first took a beat before blowing mine, I saw that there was no one between him and the play and hoped he would call it. When I saw he wasn't going to, I did even though I was only wanout 85% certain a defensive foul had occurred. In hindsight, I'll admit that I probably should have let it go, and I definitely shouldn't have been caught out of position (in my defense, it was my fifth game of the day, and my legs were tired).

Under most circumstances, at a higher level or with a more experienced partner, had I still made those two mistakes, I would have had a "if I missed it I missed ut, but it's what I called" attitude. But I would hope thaty partner would have blown his whistle during my initial pause, and at least would have come in after I signaled the block, and we could've at least had a blarge (I'd rather get it half right than all wrong).

And my main point stands: if you see something in your partner's area and see that they didn't see it, call it.