Thread: The seatbelt
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 02:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I disagree. The coaching box was given to the coaches as a privilege to coach their players better. They still have to understand that they cannot use it to get closer to a referee to verbally disagree with a referee in an unsporting manner. The first two season that the coaching box was instated, I would tell the coaches during the pre-game meeting that they have the coaching box, but to remember that it is there to can coach the players, not to coach us (the officials). I stopped saying that after the second season.

Let's just agree to disagree on this though.
Not sure where to start with this, so perhaps I'll just agree to disagree. Nah.

I wouldn't begin to tell a coach what the proper use of his coaching box is -- his job includes more than coaching his players, though. Asking us questions and being an advocate for his team (within reason) is part of his job as a head coach.

The subvarsity coaches in WI don't have a coaching box, BTW. I haven't worked one of those in a while, but I've noticed a lot of coaches squatting in front of their chairs and that wouldn't get a second notice from me.

Back in my early days, before the box, we used to use a rule of thumb that if he can reach his seat and isn't standing, he's fine.