Thread: The seatbelt
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Had a 9th/JV boys doubleheader last night. I stayed to watch the varsity afterwards, and saw an interesting situation develop.

Home team's center gets called for an illegal screen about 20 seconds into the game (and it was the right call). Home team's coach goes nuts, and during V's possession he walks all the way down to the endline to yell at the official who called the foul (who is working as the Lead on the far side of the court).

Trail official calls a foul on a different home team player, and at the same time, the Lead whacks the coach. Coach and whacking official have a short conversation while the T free-throws are being administered, during which I assume they were talking about the illegal screen call.

Anyway, coach should have the seatbelt for the rest of the game, but about 2 minutes later, he stands up and starts squatting in front of his bench. This squatting/standing routine continues for awhile. Eventually, one of the officials says something to him (I assume to remind him of the seatbelt rule). Coach sits down for another 2-3 minutes, then gets back up again.

I left at halftime, so I don't know if the coach continued the stand-and-squat routine.

How much leeway should you give a coach who ignores the seatbelt? I'm thinking one quick warning, then whack, but I'd be interested to see what others have to say.
I know this won't be the popular position here, but if he's simply squatting in front of his seat, I'm probably not going to get in a pissing match over it. Or eject him. If I need to have a heavy hand, I'm going to pick a spot where I need to have it.