View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Guys,

This is the second year I've taken the NCAA exam. I registered and took it last Sunday & got my score. I was curious about which questions I'd missed. So, today I went and checked the new NCAA test site to see what I'd missed and what the correct answers were.

There are two questions that I can't make sense of the answers on and wondered if any of the NCAA umpires here could shed some light.

Here are the questions.

The NCAA site says "b" is the correct answer and cites 8-5e, 7-11f Penalty in the "explanation" for why "b" is correct.

I had answered "a" based on the following from the Exceptions listed in 7-11-f:

The other one was:

The NCAA test site gives "a" as the correct answer and cites "Appendix E" in the explanation.

Now I had actually read Appendix E. Given what Appendix E actually says, I answered "c". My thinking was that this situation is clearly a "rules misapplication" sitch rather than a "judgement" sitch. The vast majority of Appendix E deals with judgement calls and when it would or would not be appropriate for a calling umpire to get input from other members of the crew or a non-calling umpire to offer unsolicited input to the calling umpire. The only thing I found in Appendix E that touched on the test question was:

And, of course, there is the whole first paragraph which emphasizes "getting the call right":

So, in this case, we've got a blatant rules misapplication which is easily correctable. But, the NCAA answer seems to suggest that even though it is an "error in interpretation" it CANNOT be changed. Presumably, the NCAA feels it is preferable to replay a game under protest than to just get it right at the time???

If any of you NCAA experienced umpires can shed some light, I'd appreciate it.

JM
I missed 4 questions and those were 2 of them, I answered the same as you on both and after reading the explanations given on the test I believe that on the field I could use the rule book to justify the answers that I gave, "Tangle, Untangle in the first, therefore interference if there is intent." In the 2nd it basically said that the umpire has the right to rule on anything not in the rule book, so you couldn't lose a protest doing the right thing. I plan on speaking to a few guys about these and the other 2 I missed, because I want to make sure I do it the right way on the field and the answers given did not clarrify these situations in my mind.