View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Already in Rule 5-8-2 Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
For me it depends. In pregame, I cover injured players and how we should handle it. I tell my crews, if, in the official's judgment, a player is injured and looks like they require immediate attention, kill the play at that point regardless of what is happening. If, however, the official believes the injury does not require immediate attention, judge the play situation and decide whether it is an appropriate time to kill the play (no drive to the basket, no shot attempt, team just working it around, etc). The safety and health of the players is paramount to anything happening during play. Again, do you run the risk of a player "faking it", sure, but, I'd rather take that chance, when a player appears to require immediate attention (hit their head, screaming out in pain, very hard fall, etc). Just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree.
You can pregame this, but the rules are clear in what to do. A player in immediate danger should have the game stopped for (judgment call). And if you feel they are not in immediate danger, you let the fast break continue especially if the team is on defense that has the injured player (judgment call). But I do not know why you need to pregame this; the rules are there in place to tell you what to do.

Peace