View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 01:04pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
I actually teach at the school in question. The kid was indeed a 5th year senior (don't know how he ended up at the school in that circumstance) and the school did indeed self-report resulting in the 4 forfieted wins. However, the school, not the kid, appealed to the state to overturn the appeal based on the player's limited playing time and impact on the 4 wins (he joined the team late in the season so there were only the 4 wins in question).

Our school's head coach, AD, & Assistant Principal over athletics joined a teleconference on Thursday (I think) with the state and the same reps from the 3 schools in the 4 games in question. One school who our kids had beaten twice said the player in question had no impact on the wins; the other 2 schools said he did have an impact. So, on Friday morning the state announced 2 forfiets were overturned and 2 weren't, resulting in the team reclaiming the 2nd seed vice missing the tournament. The resultant 4th & 5th place teams played a play-in game on Friday night...don't know how that turned out.

On Saturday night my school hosted a post-season game for the first time in forever. The gym holds about 2500 people and it was probably 40-45% full, a HUGE attendance for the school (though at least half were there for the rival team from about 3-4 miles away). The place was rocking and the kids were pumped. Unfortunately the other team played an excellent game and our boys absorbed a 17 point beat down that wasn't even that close. Talk about anti-climactic. As a loyal fan for the home team on this night I wanted to blame the officials...my association mates ...but they called an excellent game.

Oh well...made for an interesting week.
There are many different versions of this story. I have had your team this year and they were a pretty good team; they surprised many local officials. You did kind of leave out the fact that the player on the other team had 42 points, 5 steals, 5 rebounds and 5 assists.

Do you officiate basketball?