View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Whether I've been here for one year or ten (or 90 in Padgett's case), I completely understand where you're coming from.

However, if someone puts the rule out there, I would think that if someone is sensible enough, they could read the rule, try and understand it, and move on. Lots of times on here we get visitors who really do want to understand the rule, and then they leave because they got what they came here for.

I realize not everyone is as sensible as these people are, but the least we could do is put the onus on them to read the rule.
You would be surprised what ignorant people will debate until you have been in those situations. People quote rules all the time and give them all kinds of information and there are many that have never officiated a thing in their life will still consider what they heard on TV or what they "think" the rule is. Case in point what happened in a game last night after my game. There was a play where the shooter shot the ball off the backboard, the ball was below the rim, then the defender blocked the ball after the ball touched the backboard and fans where I was sitting went nuts. As a matter of fact, I even explained to the one guy that that was not GT, but he was convinced otherwise. Even heard the same thing when they were calling for fouls and their team was fouled more. You would have though the officials were totally clueless, but the fans knew better. You can quote rules all day; it is not going to mean a lot. Just search this forum and see some 1 post fan that comes up with a question and see how much they argue with logic and rules being quoted to them. It happens all the time and it will be coming soon as we are in that time of year and the crazies will come out of the woodwork. Then tell me how much logic and reasoning they will accept when you quote the rules word for word and they tell you that the officials were against them and how a certain official has hated them for years.

Peace