View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Opinions, please

NSA tournament, but the rule set isn't important. This is more of a "How would you have handled this?" question. R1 on 2B, 2 outs, B2 his a ball up the middle to the left of the SS. SS is bowled over by R1, and while I quickly process this information and am ready to come up with an interference call, the BU beats me to the call, except his call is obstruction. What would you do at this point?

This is what I did: I quickly decided to let the play finish out, thinking to myself we can get together after the play and fix this if we need to. The play ends up with R1 on 3B, and BR on 1B. DC comes out to question my partner, who quickly and adamantly tells the coach that F1 touched the ball. I'm standing by, ready to offer help on this, but partner is taking control, not looking at me for help, and DC quickly accepts the explanation, even though F1 is shaking her head indicating she did not touch the ball. As DC retreats to the dugout, I'm already wondering if I should step in, but I don't. Inning ends with next batter making the third out. DC does come to me after the next half inning asking me if F1 had touched the ball, and I just told him it was too late to talk about that call. After the game, BU and I discuss the call, and I tell him I didn't think F1 touched the ball, and that I was ready to call interference. He shrugs, and the conversation is over.

Should I have immediately killed the ball? Should I have stepped as soon the play was over? Should I have stepped in when the DC came out?

Thanks!