View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:26am

He said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
A related issue:

How observant are you of F6 or F4 sneaking towards second with R2 when a batter requests time?
Then you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
The batter is in peril and if he calls time, it should virtually always be granted immediately. Seldom is a batter's request of time an act of protection of a runner, whose chance of being picked off second is generally rather slim.
Oh, you mean if the batter is in peril. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I'm speaking to his needing to be ready to face the pitch, and if he's not ready to face a pitch he's in peril. I grant time virtually always. Seldom does the save-R2's-@ss scenario happen. It's worth watching for, however.

If a batter's not ready, I grant time.
Well of course. I'm right there with you.

I don't allow the pitcher to begin his motion until the batter is set in the box. Once the pitcher comes set, and unless he is purposely delaying to freeze the batter, I allow for a possible play. Many batters, who are ready and just want to throw the pitcher's rhythm off, make him balk or throw the ball away. They are the ones who suddenly want Time just as there is about to be a play on a runner.

And many times, it's just too late to call Time, as the pitcher is kicking and dealing at this point. Why would you want to stop him unnecessarily? The rules also clearly state the umpire is not to fall for a bunch of excuses from the batter, such as "dust in the eye," or "banana in the tailpipe." We are instructed to not grant Time after the pitcher has come set or started his windup.

On the contrary though, if the pitcher is a human rain delay for the batter, the catcher, and especially the umpire, Time should be granted, even if it's just to send a message.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25