View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Quote:
It has nothing to do with "not wanting to be there in the first place". However, it does have everything to do with not wanting a marathon when there is no time limit.

Also, the game's tempo is better if the game moves along. The defense makes more plays and the offense hits the ball more. If you ever move a game along instead of taking your marathons, you will notice the level of play is slightly better in many cases. Teams just play better when they keep their momentum going
I am NOT speaking for Steve but IMO I think he was referring to the following:

F2 says "Pete can I have TIME"

Me ok TIME. F2 trots out to talk to F1. Perhaps he was "crossed-up" on a pitch etc.

Therefore, if we grant F2 TIME why not the "other fielders" I agree I will not call TIME so that the players can "freeze" the runners or throw the ball back to F1 BUT there are certain situations in which fielders need to talk to F1.

Here's an example: F4/F6 notices that R2 is "stealing" signs. F4/F6 requests TIME so that he can convey this to F1 and therefore, change pitching signals. Also, F4/F6 notices that R2 is taking a BIG lead and they want to put a play on.

In summary: I agree if the fielder simply wants to call TIME to "freeze' runners or simply throw the ball back to F1 I will NOT grant it, BUT if a fielder requests TIME to talk to F1 I will most likely grant it because I do NOT know what the fielder wants to talk about with F1.

Common guys remember when we played. I once requested TIME simply to tell my buddy who was pithcing " Hey Tim did you see the blond in the second row".

Pete Booth