View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 01:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This discussion got me thinking about a play I had earlier this year.

I am the Lead at tableside. A1 is dribbling and drives the lane from the top of the free throw semi-circle. As he is driving the lane, B1 runs in from the side opposite from where I am and sets himself completely stationary in the middle of the lane with his arms at his side as if he were setting a screen however he is facing towards my sideline. I estimate he gives A1 about two strides before A1 crashes into him and they both go to the floor. I called a PC foul against A1.

I called the foul against A1 because B1 was completely stationary when A1 made contact with B1. I don't recall exactly but I don't believe I took into account time and distance. Perhaps I did subconciously? After I reported, I realized B1 didn't have LGP and started doubting myself on the accuracy of the call. I quickly dismissed it, reasoningthat LGP wasn't needed since the defender was stationary and continued on with the game.

It seems from the discussion that I've linked above, that this would be a case where the screening principles would apply and that in the end I did get the call correct. I am not really happy, though, with my reading of the play as it happened.

What do you all think?

You made the correct call. Remember that both defensive and offensive players can set screens. In your play B1 set a screem against A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio