Thread: Custom Bats?
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't see the issue. There is no requirement that a bat be painted/decorated in a specific manner.

AFAIC, as long as the bat is identifiable (manufacturer's name and the model name and/or number), has the ASA certification stamp and is not on the Non-approved Bat List, it is good to go providing it meets all other requirements set forth in ASA Rule 3.1
I agree. I do, however, foresee a LOT of umpires looking at the bat and saying, "wtf?!" With custom bats like these, I worry about consistency among umpires. Some umpires will trust the ASA stamp, others may question its validity.

It's one thing if it's a new Easton or Miken, but this company is brand new to the sport. I'm much less likely to question a new bat with the stamp if it's from Easton than if it's from a company that does "custom paint jobs."

Still, I'm going to keep an eye on these bats. We'll see what happens if/when they get approved.

I was a little bit concerned when their email to me seemed to imply that they are already putting the ASA stamp on their bats. I wasn't aware they were allowed to do so. Maybe I misread their email.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.