Thread: NFHS, Bunt Rule
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Sorry, but I have never understood not requiring a batter to pull their bat back. IMO the only reason it's a non-issue is that it very, very seldom happens.
Really? If it is that rare, why was it necessary to "create" a rule to address it? Hell, even as a kid playing baseball, a player had to attempt to hit the ball for the umpire to call a strike. Why should this one, lone situation be different?

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but you need to include baseball as well. ASA must be the only large organization with a high opinion of their umpires. I guess that's why their mechanics are so intuitive and flexible.
To me, it is an indictment of the umpire's inability or refusal to make the proper call as the rule dictates. And if that is their attitude, lets go back to rounders where after the maximum number of pitches, the striker began running the bases whether they hit the ball or not. WTF, is that not the idea of the game anyway?