View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
the director of the HS League...said in front of coaches present at the clinic) - to paraphrase, "why should kids who aren't taught the proper way to appeal, or even to appeal in the first place be penalized because they have bad coaching?" He went on to suggest some schools have coaches in place because they are the nearest warm body to put there, so the kids don't learn proper baseball rules such as appeals, so why should they be required to bring it to the attention of the umpire, when the umpire should just see it in the first place!
So...let me see if I got this straight...they allow the kids to play the game and the schools to hire or assign coaches. In some cases the coaches are not interested in the game and therefor not able to teach it. Instead of letting them fail and learn from their mistakes or shut down their programs...the league administration removes provisions of the game to improve the experience for the kids...thus sending a message to formidable minds that education/learning, tradition, and rules have no place or value in high-school athletics. Do I have that right?