View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 27, 2000, 09:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
I agree with all that has been said here so far but I think that there is something else to talk about. In the original post, MOFFICIAL judged the contact on the dribbler to be pretty severe. At that point, he's got to make a decision whether to rule the contact incidental or whether to rule it a foul. Being that he's already given up the play to his partner by agreeing that his partner's whistle came first (I agree it's really what act came first), he must now decide whether to punish the act. Because the ball was dead, if he punishes, he has no choice but to call it a technical foul. Again, I think it's very important that the two officials get together, determine what came first and then decide whether to punish the foul. The problem you have is if the coach of the dribbler's team starts screaming that MOFFICIAL called a foul and you just can't take that away.
Walter,
In my mind, when MOFFICIAL gave it up to his partner, the contact became incidental, unless the contact was ruled flagrant, or intentional. MOFFICIAL termed the contact a "pretty serious bump", not a push, not a hold/grab. Doesn't sound like much to me.
mick