View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Because people screaming to/at you from another part of the field may be distracting especially if you "wish" to provide them with some type of indication to their query which could be more confusing than not.

You have been around long enough that I'm pretty sure you have experienced the following:

You are staying with a runner who may or may not miss a base. During the play, you hear another player (let's say F3) scream, "Blue! Blue! He missed 1st base!!!"

You stay with your mechanics and take the runner into 3rd base as the ball is coming in from the outfield. From behind you hear, "BLUE! BLUE?"

You check to make sure the runner is done, suspend play by calling "TIME", take a second look at the runner, turn around and address the player attempting to make an appeal.

You have now:
  • Completed your obligations to stay with the runner;
  • Made sure the play was over before suspending play;
  • Checked to make sure the runner isn't going to attempt to return and touch all bases;
  • Addressed the player making an appeal in a proper and professional manner;
  • And you now have a situation where a dead ball appeal can be made to the proper umpire in a calm fashion.
At no time did you allow yourself to be distracted or do anything that could distract or confuse anyone else.
OK, the answer is you are concerned about an umpire being distracted by the chaos or another umpire's play. Got it.

Always nice to see a thorough and coherent post which is on point.

Now that I read the above, I have probably fulfilled ny clinic requirement.