View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Bretman,

Great question and pickup. Since I'm not looking at my lineup card for each batter, those issues of batting out of order must be brought to our attention by the defense (or offense, for that matter, depending on the time). So, to better answer you, yes, only on baserunning infractions.

In our state clinic last Thursday, the director of the HS League defended the continued use of this policy in SC essentially as this (and this was said in front of coaches present at the clinic) - to paraphrase, "why should kids who aren't taught the proper way to appeal, or even to appeal in the first place be penalized because they have bad coaching?" He went on to suggest some schools have coaches in place because they are the nearest warm body to put there, so the kids don't learn proper baseball rules such as appeals, so why should they be required to bring it to the attention of the umpire, when the umpire should just see it in the first place!

Yes, this is pretty much what he said, so I don't see it changing in this state anytime soon. And for the record, every school we cover in our association has pretty good coaching at all levels (1A to 4A). Nobody that I'd consider a warm body by any stretch of that definition.
I second everything that was said by scarolinablue.