View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

steve, just address and argue the umpires manual as it's written. don't argue the merits of what you would do, that's already been established. that point is just going circles now.

ask yourself why the umpires at the top of our game would even consider using such a concept as "wishes" in the manual, and in that context, and what the were they thinking when they inserted it in. I am not responsible for that word appearing. our sanctioning body put it in, so challenge them, what they wrote, and what you think was omitted or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Still missing the point, it would appear.

Working as a crew means not throwing your partner under the bus. I don't have to know if the runner left early, missed a base, or made an attempt toward second when it is my partner's call, but I sure as he!! need to know what are the requirements to properly appeal every one of them. If the requirements aren't met by the person addressing me when it should be addressed to my partner, my answer is ......
"That's not an appeal".

Still, not a contradiction from the manual. "If the appeal" is an appeal directed to the wrong umpire, we direct it to the right umpire. If not an appeal, there is nothing to redirect. Still not addressing what they wish to do, they haven't made an appeal until they actually make one.

That's working as a crew. Even though that (working as a crew) isn't actually stated as part of the appeals section in the manual you have cited repeatedly, your description of the intent.