View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Shocked that this is posted. I was the R on this game.

One of the teams playing in the game was the school hosting the tournament. Both teams came out in visiting blue uniforms. (One royal blue and one navy blue.) Neither team had another set of uniforms on the premises.

I know the rule, and our crew talked about assessing a technical foul to the team that was scheduled to be the home team for having illegal uniforms (however, we were not sure which team that was supposed to be.)

After discussing the situation with the head coaches from both teams and the tournament director (the AD from the host school), the two teams could not agree on who the home team was supposed to be.

At that point I felt that our hands were tied as I was unable to determine which team should be penalized. We weren't about to postpone a state tournament game that had already been postponed by 3 days because of weather, and did the best that we could with both teams wearing different shades of blue. (We called one team "gold" because their uniforms had quite a bit of gold trim, and gold numbers as well.)

It went fairly smoothly- one of my partners pointed the wrong way after an off-ball foul due to confusion, and the biggest problem seemed to be the possession arrow (which we had to fix 3(!) times during the game.)

The schools receive a "winter bulletin" that dictates rules like who the home team is supposed to be. I looked at it online this morning and the host school is the one that should have been the visiting team (they lost the game by 11), but I did not have that information at the game site last night. I sent an email this morning to the state office describing the situation so they would be aware of it.