View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Appeal a turn Poll

In the thread Appeal a Turn to Second, Shagpal apparently believes that the responses of Mike (IrishMafia), Tom (Dakota) and I (AtlUmpSteve) contradict the NFHS Umpire Manual. I believe we all agree that the attempted appeal doesn't meet the requirements of an appeal, so cannot be honored; the sole issue, as I understand it, is if the response to "do nothing" contradicts the wording of the Umpire Manual, which says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS Umpire Manual
If the appeal is directed to the wrong umpire, that umpire should point to the responsible umpire, call his/her name and indicate that the defense wishes to make an appeal. The responsible umpire should then step forward and make the call.
The interpretation of Shagpal appears to be that using the word "wishes" in this sentence means that any time the defense asks an appeal related question, whether appealed properly or not, that the umpire is obligated to make a call; that "no call" contradicts this part of the Umpire Manual. The interpretation of Mike, Tom and Steve (assuming I am not putting words in anyone's mouth, or missing their points) is that this sentence applies ONLY in the narrow context of the defense asking the wrong umpire, that no matter which umpire they approach, an appeal has to made in accordance with rules on making a proper appeal in order to get an answer; otherwise, you are violating the rule of an umpire not making a ruling unless appealed (properly).

Assuming I have stated the positions correctly, I was just wondering how many other of our forum members see this advice to "no call" as a contradiction to the NFHS Umpire Manual, and if the Rulebook therefore contradicts the Umpire Manual, or if Shagpal is really the lone voice seeing this (I don't see anyone else arguing that position, although some hesitated initially). So, this is my first attempt at setting up a poll on this board; please vote.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sat Feb 13, 2010 at 10:20pm.