View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

almost every explanation you've given assumes solo umpiring and NO consideration for the umpires manual, addressing nothing about typical crew situations w/ different eyes. the umpires manual IS part of the sanctioning body. give it the attention it deserves.

if the plate sees an attempt, and base doesn't, players might still ask any umpire. players will ask the base, that might lead to pleading to the plate, the plate would redirect back per the umpires manual as instructed, and at that point, your stubbornness will have throwing one of our umpires under the bus.

be the authority figure as the UIC and address this. clarify. do something.

I have said this before, I don't like the discrepancy either, but doing nothing as a panacea to cover everything can be a recipe for disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Just stay with the play. Move to the best possible position for any possible subsequent play. The players have coaches and teammates to help them react and perform on the field and you have........yourself and the mechanics. You just do your job which does not include making up for the players' shortcomings. It is their job to know how to play the game, our job to officiate it.

How many times has a player told you where you have to be or get to? How often are they right? Would it be nice to get into the infield for the back end of a two-banger at 1B? Sure, but if there is a runner on or rounding 3B, are you willing to forego missing a play at the plate should an infielder try to cut down the run instead of getting the BR at first?

You know that when situations are not the best, the mechanics resort to priorities. We all know a play at the plate is more important than one at 1B.

BTW, when a fair ball lies still in front of the plate and the BR isn't running and the catcher isn't pouncing on the ball, what is the prescribed mechanic? Is there anything else to do other then moving up the line and point fair just as you do on any other fair ball?

While I am not a fan of all prescribed mechanics, they are the best tool to keep an umpire out of trouble during a game.