View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Actually before 9/11 the Coast Guard was a joint operation between the Department of Transportation & the Navy.

After 9/11, it's a joint operation between the Navy & Homeland Security.

My father has a Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal from when he was in the Navy when working on Drug Ops with the Coast Guard.

True USMC still has ties to the Navy, security details at bases & onbaord ships. However they are considered a separate entity now.

What about Judge Advocate General?? It's not before my time. How can the show J.A.G. be before my time when I'm turning 29 in April?

The Coast Guard only operates within US Waters, however it is considered a separate entity from the Navy, although it falls under the Navy's umbrella. It still has a separate command.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
LOL

All right, Eagleboy, brief history.
The USAF came out of the Army Air Corps, you're correct.

The Marines, however, are still considered, at the very top, part of the US Navy. Ask any Navy Corpsman, or marine stationed on security detail at a Naval base. Just don't ask them to share a meal together.

Good grief, man, don't you watch NCIS? (I know J.A.G. is before your time).

The Coast Guard is not considered military; they're currently under DHS. Don't let their .mil address or rank structure fool you. They can be militarized if necessary, however.

So, truthfully, we currently have three branches, not five. Just don't tell a marine he's a sailor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Just asking from my limited understanding, isn't the Coast Guard considered military (either independent or absorbed into the Navy) while in a warzone?