Thread: Illegal Motion?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Also, what is defined as "simulating" the start of a play. I always thought after becoming set, any forward movement by A is simulating the start of the play. If A is moving forward, are they not considered moving towards B's goal line???

If you stand up, trot three steps forward and then turn and run parallel to the LOS, I don't think this qualifies as simulating the start of a play. Players usually explode out of their stances at the start of a play. Any movement by A toward the B goal line at the snap is definitely illegal motion. When players miss the snap count and you see that quick flinch, they have simulated the start of the play.
I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between a player trotting, walking, stumbling, or exploding forward. It all seems to be the same to me in relation to moving towards B's goal line.
Players are allowed to shift before the snap (except interior linemen [My Words-not rulebook words] who have put their hand(s) at or near the ground).

The responsability for avoiding simulating action at the snap lies clearly with the offense. If you believe the movement forward was as a result of missing the snap count, it is a false start. If a player moves forward and it appears to be a designed move and doesn't simulate action at the snap, it is a shift. In the context of this discussion, a shift is illegal only is if it headed forward at the time the ball is snapped.