View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

North Texas Chapter is a good chapter, with good training and leadership. Dallas Chapter does a good job too. Not very familiar with Fort Worth Chapter.

As for calling in multiple chapters, I know dozens of officials that work dual chapters and for widely varying reasons. Some do so because of work and/or living arrangements, some do it to bolster their schedule (i.e., get more games or get "better" games), and others do it because they just want to see different schools/coaches from time-to-time.

I also work in 3-4 chapters on occasion, sometimes to accommodate varying needs among different chapters, but more often due to work and living locations. My assignors aren't always happy that I am not running solely in their chapters because I run about 150-175 games/year, but they understand my other commitments (and I told them upfront that I would be working multiple chapters). Before the season, I sit down and review my calendar. I decide which nights I can/will work and what part of the area I want to work. I give each chapter/association assignor a list of dates that I am able to work for that chapter. They have 2 weeks to assign me any games they want me to run. After 2 weeks, I usually take all the unassigned dates and make them available to the other chapters. I usually get 2-3 dates per chapter that go unassigned by one chapter, but get assigned by another. This may not work for everyone, but it works for me. (The added benefit is that I usually don't get any 1099's either, which for tax purposes makes it a little easier at the end of the year.)