View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 12:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No, but granting the TO request does.
NFHS rule 5-8-3--"Time out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official grants a player/head coach's ORAL or visual request for a timeout, such request being granted only when the ball is in control of or at the disposal of a player of his/her team."
NCAA rules are exactly the same, I believe. By rule, the TO occurs when the official grants the TO request. So the sequence is TO request by coach---->granted by official if player on coach's team has player control. By rule, the clock is supposed to be stopped when the TO request is granted. What happens after the TO was granted is irrelevant in the play being discussed.
The problem is defining when the request is considered to be granted. Some say it is a mental event which occurs instantly when the request is seen/heard by the official. But some of these same officials say they give the coach the option to rescind the request if it comes too late to serve his purpose in a given situation. This is a conflict, in my opinion. Also, what if an official can hear a voice behind him, but the ball becomes dead before he turns to confirm the identity of the voice, is this one granted or not?

Quote:

2) Basically yes, except that the official doesn't have to signal a granted TO request to stop the clock. The clock is supposed to stop when the TO request is granted instead.
I don't follow this part at all.

Lonesome Dove