Thread: Two questions
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Has the topic of "second act" come up before on an Official Review segment? In every sport there are tons of approved rulings and interpretations the general public doesn't know about until the situation happens in a game. I think Pereira and the NFL do just fine in trying to explain the rules to non-officials.
There was a rash of controversial catch rulings at the beginning of this season. Pereira did refer to a "second act" in this Week 2 bonus:
NFL Videos: Official Review Week 2 bonus coverage

In the Jacoby Jones play, he says that after he goes to the ground the "second act" of hitting the ground again completes the catch. The Dante Rosario play is where I have a real problem with his explanation. This was almost exactly like the play in the Super Bowl, except, as Pereira makes sure to mention, the ruling was Rosario was not going to the ground. I logically assumed that Pereira brought this up because if Rosario had been going to the ground, it would have been incompletion. I had always believed the "second act" referred to something occuring after hitting the ground which signified the end of the process.

Aside from all of that, the ruling on the incompletion at 0:40 in this video seems to go against what Pereira said Sunday night.

NFL Videos: NFL GameDay: Ravens-Steelers highlights

Holmes reaching for the endzone looks pretty clearly like a second act to me.